Patrick C. Summers has extensive experience in construction litigation, defense of design professionals, real property, landlord-tenant law, bankruptcy, creditors’ rights, and general civil litigation. Patrick represents design professionals, contractors and property owners in a variety of matters, including mechanic’s lien foreclosure actions and defense, public project bond litigation, and contract, warranty and negligence claims. He works with banks and lenders regarding foreclosures, secured transactions and other lending issues. Patrick advises clients on ways to limit future exposure and methods to avoid problems before they develop into litigation. He has extensive experience in bankruptcy practice and procedure, including Chapter 11. Patrick regularly presents seminars on a variety of topics, including loss mitigation for design professionals, foreclosure, real property issues, and bankruptcy as well as other construction and design related matters.
Patrick received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Minnesota (magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) in 1995, and graduated from the University of Minnesota Law School in 1998 (cum laude). He has been practicing at MCM since 1999.
- Mr. Summers has served as counsel for a Chapter 7 Trustee for a number of years. During that time, he has brought a number of adversary actions for preference recovery, turn over, exemptions and a variety of other matters. These include a successful defense of a preference action with potential liability in excess of $100,000 and successfully navigating clients through the issues and documents filed in large Chapter 11 filings.
In addition, Mr. Summers has represented corporations and individuals in creditor actions in bankruptcy cases, including Chapter 7, 11 and 13 cases.
Defense of Design Professionals
- Mr. Summers has represented banks and other creditors in a variety of matters, including all aspects of bankruptcy, replevin, foreclosure and other litigation to recover funds or collateral from debtors. This included eviction proceedings and collection actions. Mr. Summers has successfully negotiated workouts as well as asset recovery.
- Mr. Summers has represented a variety of architects, engineers and other design professionals against claims. This includes a successful motion for summary judgment on behalf of a designer resulting in no liability in a case with exposure in excess of $2,000,000.
- Mr. Summers has brought successful actions to remove tenants from properties, including while tenant was in bankruptcy, as well as collected amounts owed under the lease. He has presented seminars on best practices for leases and dealing with tenants. Mr. Summers has represented major commercial landlords and banks in a variety of consumer and commercial matters. He has assisted large commercial property owners with the complex issues which arise in Chapter 11 filings by tenants or others.
- Mr. Summers has represented contractors and property owners in a variety of matters, including mechanic’s lien foreclosure actions and defense, public project bond litigation, and contract and warranty claims. He has advised clients on ways to limit future exposure and proper methods to avoid problems before they develop into litigation.