Holly J. Newman practices mainly in the area of construction litigation with a specific focus on representing design professionals and sureties. She has represented local and national companies of varying size in numerous litigations with claims ranging from under $100,000 to over $300,000,000.
Holly is a proactive practitioner who has an in-depth understanding of the business threats and opportunities of her clients. She manages her clients’ litigation portfolios with a view to providing effective and efficient services. Her experience includes negotiation of contracts, representation of clients through trials, appeals, arbitrations, mediations and other pre-trial proceedings. Holly has received national recognition for her representation of an architectural firm in a complex copyright litigation case.
Holly is a frequent lecturer and presented on topics relating to construction claims, statutes relating to construction industry, loss prevention for design professionals, contract forms, professional liability, and employment law issues. Holly has been named as a “Rising Star” in Minnesota Law & Politics.
- Successfully defended architect on multi-million dollar architectural copyright infringement claim.
- Defended architects and engineers on construction/design defect claims.
- Defended architects, engineers and surveyors on professional liability claims.
- Represented owner of construction company on product liability case.
- Represented contractors in mechanic’s lien and bond actions.
- Represented Sureties in actions against principals.
- Argued appeals in various construction-related claims.
- Presented at seminars sponsored by Minneapolis/St. Paul Builders Exchange American Council of Engineer Companies, Minnesota Society of Professional Engineers, and others on various topics including loss prevention for construction industry and design professionals, contract forms, mechanic’s liens, bonds, public contracting, copyright issues, and green construction.
- Provides in-house seminars to architects, engineers, surveyors, and others in the construction industry.
- Presented on updates to Family Medical Leave Act to HR professionals.
- Drafts standard form agreements for design professionals.
- Negotiates favorable contract terms for construction and design services.
- Provides contract review services on construction or design contracts
- Develops license and transfer agreements for copyrighted and trademarked materials
- Assists in developing non-compete, confidentiality, and other provisions for employers
- Represented employers in defense of harassment and discrimination claims.
- Represented employer in pursuit of claims for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of duty of loyalty, fiduciary duty, unfair competition and related claims.
- Represented attorneys and accountants in defense of malpractice claims